Friday, April 4, 2008

Big weekend starts today

It's wonderful what a good night's sleep does for you. (Followed up by a big breakfast!)

This morning we're again at Duke Hospital.
Gail got to briefly visit with Tricia - Nathan was already there. But they're going to do some things for her today, so the visit was short. So we all headed down to the NICU.
Gwyneth is at a little over 2lbs. 8oz and looks so good! I spent a few mintues with her, met her nurse and her speech pathologist (who works with her on the bottle feedings). Then left so Nathan and Gail could go back for her feeding.
I hope later today to see Tricia. She doesn't remember anything from yesterday. Nothing! Could I have some of that drug, please? There are times when it would sure be nice.

A group of men from our church will leave Nags Head this afternoon to meet me in Raleigh for the Maximum Man Conference. I'll hook up with them late this afternoon. The conference is tonight and tomorrow morning.

Thankfully I got my sermon stuff for Sunday done here at the hospital yesterday. Be warned: I was just about brain dead when I was working on it, so who knows how it will turn out Sunday!

I'm going to try to get my weekly e-letter update out to the church today and my column written for The Sentinel today from the hospital. Thank God for laptops and wireless in the hospital. I also have a call into someone about an appointment later today here at Duke for a friendly chat about some concerns that need to be addressed. I promise to be nice.

It's a big day today for Tricia. The procedures she will endure aren't the easiest for her, but will be helpful for her recovery and healing. Please keep up the prayers on her behalf. Right now the great concerns for her are that she would be infection free and that there would be no rejection of the new lungs.

Also, please continue to pray for the donor's family. We don't know anything about them other than the fact that someone is mourning and likely preparing for a funeral in the next day or so. Pray that their gift through organ donation and the realization that their loved one continues to breathe for someone like Tricia will ease their pain.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

praying for all

Sara said...

I'm sure your sermon on Sunday will be wonderful, even if written when what you think was a brain dead moment :)
Continuing to pray for all involved from London, England.
Thanks for keeping us updated!!

Kristy said...

I have been away from my computer for a few days and what a surprise I got!!!! I just want all of you to know that I am praying, praying, praying!!!! But I am so worried about Nate, I want him to get some rest so bad. I can't imagine being in his shoes. God bless him. Please make him rest.

Love and blessings, Kristy

Unknown said...

i am praying for you, your family, and the donor and their family. all of you are constantly in my thoughts.

as the wife of an anesthesiologist, who has done anesthesia for many double lung transplants, i am curious as to the problems you've experienced with the duke medical professionals. i hope you will provide more details soon.

kidsworld said...

I always enjoy reading your posts. Thank you. And thank you for being with Nate during this stressful time. I know, thru his writings and yours, that I, too would want you by my side during such a time.

oh, and just curious, have you talked to the OBX tourism dept about adding a couple bridges due to the amount of traffic that will be inbound for your summer services?!!!

BTW, what an awesome prediction!!!

refreshing in ohio

Lee said...

Enjoy your weekend conference Pastor Rick!
How exciting that Gwyneth is getting closer to the 3 lb. mark! She must know her Mommy is getting closer to going home so she wants to be sure to go home with her! Tricia is like NOTHING I've ever heard of before. She is such a fighter. And NATE! My goodness. For a youngin he sure has his head square on his shoulders. Forget "for a youngin"...he just simply is amazing...no matter his age. You and Gail did good!
One thing my husband and I continue to comment on is that NO MATTER what, Nate and Tricia always have their eyes on Jesus...no matter how rough it gets they point their eyes and direct all their reader's eyes towards Him. Never a "woe is me" comment, never a verbal attack on someone in retaliation for some inane comment, always kind loving words. God is good!

Blessings From Above said...

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to update us on Tricia's recovery-- I look forward to reading the posts and knowing how I can more specifically lift her as well as your family up in prayer!

Jen said...

We love & miss y'all and continue to pray for all of you!
Paul & Jenny

Unknown said...

Praying for all as always.

mummyofprincesses said...

Hey Rick

As a Mum of an 11year old CFer, I'll be praying for your meeting today, that you can advocate and changes can be made based on what you all experienced for those that come behind. Bek, was diagnosed with cepacia a couple of years back. We were devastated with it, but she continues to thrive by God's grace and we are able to make important changes at CHOP, due to our awareness now.
Thanks for being willing to be a voice!

Blessings,
Karen Weigner

marcia said...

In reading this post I am amazed at the hand of God in the timing of everything that is filling your week and the days ahead! Obviously I don't know what might have been cleared from your calendar in the last three days, but you have been able to be where you needed to be...and you will still be able to be renewed, refreshed, and blessed at the conference tonight and tomorrow. I agree with sara's comment. No worries about the sermon Sunday...the overflow of your heart will far outweigh any lack of prep time!

Barbara Kay said...

You may have been brain-dead but God wasn't. As always He will deliver a powerful message through you. I'm glad you're going to the conference. All you guys have a blast and we want to hear your worship of the King all the way to the OBX. Barbara

Jane said...

rest and food are a must, especially when you are dealing with loved ones in the hospital. It's easy to have days pass without taking care of one's temple.

I'm praying for your meeting with those at Duke. Don't know the details, but they must be serious, cause you guys have had nothing but GREAT things to say about their care so far. I pray that the (assumed) human error is not life threatening.

Praise God for Baby Gwyneth and her being such a positive distraction for all you waiting to see Tricia. And praise God for her new burst of growth! Gotta get her weight up and ready to go home when mommy's ready to leave the hospital!

And I'm praying my heart out for the donor family. I pray that they are at peace and know our Lord and Savior personally so that He can be their comforter.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update on Tricia, Gwyneth, and Nate. With all you have to do, it was especially thoughtful of you.I will be praying for guidance and success with your meeting at Duke, your Maximum Man Conference, and your newsletter. God bless you as you carry on His work.

jamie said...

Rick, Thanks for the updates. If I could, I'd come listen to your sermon. Bet it will be good. Don't worry, I( as well as about another jillion from what I can figure!) will continue with prayers. For all of you as well as the donor's family. Hope everyone can begin to catch up on rest. God Bless you.
Jamie in Texas

CFHusband said...

When did you stop preparing your sermons on Saturday? (HAHA, Just Kidding!)

Anonymous said...

Prayers continue for Tricia..and especially now for the donor family. As we rejoice Tricia's wonderful progress, we must not forget that out there right now is a family grieving and suffering a very painful loss. Praying for their comfort during this time and thanking them for their incredible gift of life to Tricia, for without their generosity, we would not be able to rejoice now for Tricia.

Kristen said...

Isnt it funny how a tiny baby needs a speech person? When my daugther was in the NICU, we were amused by that. My daugther is 3 yrs with CF and so I find Nate's blog very encouraging.
Thanks for the updates from your point of view.

La Familia Garcia said...

praying for your Sunday! May you be refreshed in the Lord.

Annette said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog- I have followed Nates since January. And by his, have been linked to yours. Thank you for your insight. Praying for your fmaily

www.smithfamilyx6.blogspot.com