Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sunday Flashback

In just a couple of hours I'll be dropped off at John Wayne Airport in the OC and head back to NC (via Salt Lake City and Atlanta! - an all nighter).

I worshipped this morning with Calvary Baptist Church of Yorba Linda, CA. Pastor Brian Moore and his congregation have been very gracious to me - they provided my trip out here for the funeral. Althought I've worshipped at CBC and spoken there before, this was my first time to meet Brian. He's been here just a little over a year, and has done a marvelous job at leading a hurting congregation back to vitality and vision. They're not afraid to take risks and try new things to live out their purposes. Keep it up!

They're in a series called "Go Fish", and he invited me to "tag team" a sermon with him. My part was to address the fears believers have when it comes to sharing their faith. I hope I made some sense as I talked about overcoming our fears of people by having only one "fear" in our lives - the fear of God.

The folks at Calvary always make me feel welcome. Thanks! And as great as it was here this morning, there's no place like home.

After a great salad a Chili's and a short visit with Mr. Z, I've been showing Sarah's wedding pictures to Laura, who is tying the knot in August. Thankfully the drive to the airport is only a few minutes. Before long I'll be looking down at the Pacific, then over the amazingly green landscape of southern CA (they're getting a lot of rain lately) and over the Rockies to Salt Lake. Never been to Utah before!

I'm scheduled to arrive at RDU at 10AM Monday, and am looking forward to visiting Tricia, Gwyneth and Nate before heading home, either Monday evening or Tuesday morning, depending on the jet lag. I'm still trying to adjust to Pacific coast time.

When I get home, it sounds like I have a lot of work to do....chairs, floors, etc.

8 comments:

Andy Lawrenson said...

The chairs = job security. :)

Paula Farah said...

Geez, NHC Word of mouth... Faster than a jet plane. lol. Looking forward to your coming back to the right coast.

Anonymous said...

Every blog of yours makes me cry. Every. Single. One. I can't really say why, they just do. Maybe because I don't have a great relationship with my own Dad and it warms my heart to read what you have to say about your kids (in-lawed and all), your friends, your congregation, and stangers on an airplane. It also reminds me how vitally important it is for my husband and I to fnid a church with a caring pastor and congregation. We have a church home and I've posted before that we are "scouting" a new one. Even being members at a church for 14 years now, we feel utterly pastorless.
Your congregations is blessed to have you, you to have them, and bless you all for answering God's call on your life.

Anonymous said...

Andy did a great job this morning, but as always, when you're away, we miss our lead pastor. The top ten ways we know Rick is out of town were hilarious. You've got some gettin' even to do.... Praying for your safe return and for a little rest on the all nighter.

ZazFamily said...

pastor rick,
our family was honored by the words you so beautifully used to honor my mom at the memorial service on friday. i wish all your right coast friends and worshippers were here to hear the great words of honor you voiced on my mom's behalf.thanks to your family and church family for sharing you with us at our time of need.

Megan and Company said...

We just started "Go Fish" and I'm really enjoying it!

Scott said...

We are praying for your safe arrival! Have a good trip.

Rick Lawrenson said...

I'll let God do the gettin' even for me. He does such a better job!

"Touch not God's anointed"! Ha!