Monday, February 25, 2008

Observations from Gate C7

While I’m enduring a scheduled 3 hour layover that will be 4 hours, I thought I’d stay awake while I wait on my Delta flight (it’s 11:44PM MST) with some insights gained from my travels.

You pay a lot of money for a ticket that gives you flight times that really don’t mean anything. On Thursday my Continental flight was delayed 2 hours while they waited for a plane to come in to Houston from NYC. And it was empty.

They airlines must be making some money. (See the last sentence of the previous paragraph.) And, every flight I’ve been on thus far (3 out of 5 total on this trip) have been full.

The security check at Orange County is the slowest I’ve ever been through. It was the same the last time I flew out of SNA. Two hundred people waiting to take their shoes off and two TSA personnel checking IDs and boarding passes and two check points. On the other hand, Norfolk and Raleigh seem to do much better. Maybe it’s just that laid back California approach to life.

In airports you can spend a lot of money for a little fast food. And at 9PM there aren’t many choices at Salt Lake City International.

Why do all these 20 year old kids in suits, white shirts and ties have name tags that says "Elder So and So"? Elder than who?

“Free WiFi” at the airports costs at least $9.95 per month. You know, if I’ve got to wait 3 or 4 hours and eat your lousy food (‘cause they don’t serve meals anymore on the planes) you could at least give me free internet access. Heck, I’d put up with internet that has ads running across the top. But don’t tell me it’s “free” when it isn’t.

The chairs aren’t comfy. Anything but.

Some people can sleep anywhere on anything. I’m not one of them.

I shoulda brought some movies to watch! What was I not thinking? I’m too tired to read.

Oh yeah. Electrical outlets are a premium at airports. If you’re not going to provide real free internet, you could install a few outlets so I can at least play solitaire and not use up my battery. (Note: Atlanta's airport has quite a few.)

I thought I was the only one crazy/dumb enough to fly the red eye. I was wrong.

Babies should be sedated before boarding an aircraft. Sorry, but if they’re not happy, no one on the plane is either.

Every teenager on an airplane has wires coming from their ears. I’m still trying to figure out the crossword puzzle in the back of the airline’s groovy magazine.

Does anybody really buy stuff out of that airplane catalog? You gotta admit, they do have some cool stuff.

I wish I could have seen the terrain around Salt Lake City in the daylight. It looks very suspicious at night.

I’m not looking forward to arriving in Atlanta at 7AM, especially if I have to change terminals for my last leg to RDU. (I didn't have to change terminals).

It’s 12:07 AM now (2:07 EST). My eyes are burning, so I think I’ll quit. (10 hours later and they're still burning. I think I'll take a nap.)

9 comments:

Brenda said...

I laughed out loud, reading this post. We had a similar experience getting to Memphis and back last Thurs-Sat. Delayed flights, equipment malfunctions, lost luggage, and being stranded in the Atlanta airport overnight... Amtrak is looking better all the time...or maybe we'll just stay home:)
Brenda

Andy Lawrenson said...

we were wondering what were thinking with that flight itinerary?

Rick Lawrenson said...

I actually chose the itinerary to allow me to not fly out on Sunday morning or have to miss going to church there. By flying out in the evening rather than Monday morning I got into Durham in the late morning rather than the evening on Monday, so I have some time at the hospital.

I wanted to be able to stay here on Sunday because their church paid my expenses for coming out. So for me to help out Sunday was the least I could do to say thanks.

There really was a rhyme to the reason. But nonetheless it's a physically taxing way to fly coast to coast. What I wouldn't give for a non-stop flight either from Raleigh or Norfolk (at multiple stop prices, of course).

Bonnie said...

so, did you enjoy your flight?

Rick Lawrenson said...

Actually the flights weren't bad. I got some napping in.

It's the delays on top of the layovers that get you. But then, you know something about that, don't you?

Rosi Truex said...

Too bad you didn't fly through Dallas- when we went through there in November we also had a longer than scheduled layover - and we used our time productively - by counting the Starbucks in the terminals - there are THIRTEEN of them - at least you can have something to help you stay awake!

Demelza Treliving said...

The kids in the Ties and sport coats are Mormon Missionaries.

Candace said...

Being from Salt Lake, I found this post to be extremely funny.

The previous poster was right about the kids in suits and ties being LDS missionaries. It made me smile about your comment on "elder than who". When I first heard them referred to that, I giggled. They are too young to be called elders.

Unknown said...

wow, I thought I was the only one who thought those things while waiting for flights at the airport. Delta terminal at JFK is getting boring--same old Starbucks and some shop that sells pre-wrapped sandwiches. Lots of outlets, but no "free" wi-fi. And oh yeah, you can count on leaving at least two hours after you're scheduled to leave. Unbelievable.