Friday, February 8, 2008

Lessons from the Waiting Room (Pt. 2)

I've been in the NICU unit today visiting my grandaughter. Earlier I noticed a family Mom/Dad and grandparents huddled together crying...not a good thing here. The younger couple went back into the unit. The grandparents went into a conference room. So I went back to see if there was anything I could do for them. Their little grandaughter, Kayla, is really struggling today with NEC. In fact, she's already coded today, but somehow they brought her back. I've prayed with the grandparents and then with the parents.

Then moments ago a young mother passed by and asked how my baby was doing. She had seen me here before. I asked how her baby was doing, and he is also in grave condition. Shortly she'll be meeting with the docs to decide what to do, but the outlook is not good for Tyler. I promised her my prayers and she thanked me, saying that lots of people have been praying for him and that's why he's still here.

And I told her I would let you know.

So would you please pray for Kayla and Tyler? I'm going to just hang out here today just in case there's something I can do.

5 comments:

Emily said...

I am praying I have one baby who never needed a NICU, one NICU warrior, and one who went straight from the NICU to Heaven. I get it. I know how to pray. So I am. Thanks for prompting me.

Scott said...

Rick, I'm glad you are there I'm sure your presence and prayers are a comfort to the family. Not every family is fortunate enough to have a veteran pastor of your caliber and compassion in the waiting room with them!

Rick Lawrenson said...

Thanks, but I'm not so sure about all that, Scott.

But I certainly could connect with them at this time in my life.

Beverly said...

I am praying for these families as I pray for Tricia, Nate, and Gwyneth.

Anonymous said...

All these precious babies are in my prayers as well as their families. Love in Christ, Ellen