Sunday, February 17, 2008

I Surrender All...but when?

I grew up in a church tradition where the Sunday sermon culminated in an "invitation" for those who were being "moved by the Spirit" to "come forward" to the front of the church where you typically took the preacher's hand, said some words of confession or commitment and got whatever settled.

Now, I'm certainly not against the idea that God's Word doesn't and shouldn't produce some kind of response. Just the opposite, in fact. Every time I teach/preach (whatever you want to call it) I do so believing that God's Word gets results. It brings changes about in our lives when we become doers, not just hearers.

But I also wonder if the mindset created by the "come forward" and get it right philosophy hasn't built a false sense of fulfilling God's expectancies for us. Witness the twice a year "revivals" so common in some camps. Every year the evangelist preaches compellingly and every year the saints walk the aisle to "rededicate" their lives. Then too many of them go right back to living the same old mediocre lives, putting God somewhere down the list behind NASCAR and fishing.

Is this a journey we're on or an event, over and done with in a moment? Shouldn't the "rededication" come every day with the realization that His mercies (especially if I blew it the day before) are new every morning? It was Paul who wrote, "I die [to self] daily". And why wait until Sunday or "revival" to get things right with God? That aisle isn't a yellow brick road leading to Oz. So let's not treat it like it is.

6 comments:

CJolly said...

Speaking for myself, has to be a daily, or actually a continuous journey and relationship with God

Every day I thank God for His Grace, and the promise of the new day. At the end of that prayer I don't "hang up". I need to keep the line open to talk to Him throughout the day, and more importantly, I want to make sure I don't miss anything He has to say to me.
I can't see how a week or once a year wouldn't get me far!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Rick,
I am grateful we have pastors that are devoted to guiding and encouraging us to develop our spiritual relationship with God in a more deeper and meaningful way.
Marie

Anonymous said...

I grew up in a church like you described. But I didn't get saved until the age of 43 ... not even knowing I WASN'T saved! (Gee! Sometimes God is beyond human language!) But I begged God every day to make the change "real" and not some mountain-top thing.

Nowadays, I see that all of this wonderfulness of walking with the Lord really IS daily, like you said.

I'm so blessed!

And, PS, I'll be 10 in October! :)

Andy Lawrenson said...

The youth events that I attend that have the students simply go to their youth pastor to let him know of the decision they have made is much better than the "altar call". I fear too many times Christians get this false idea that unless you walk forward you can't get things right, perhaps forgetting that we can get right with God no matter where we are or what we are doing.

Gina Witcher / Runnermom4 said...

Amen. I found your blog through your Nathan and Tricia's blog, and really agree with what you are saying. We are preparing to go to France and plant a church and have found that the people we will be reaching often find themselves in a "process" and do not really know when exactly they "became" Christians. They start searching about Christ and fall in love with Him and start applying his principals and then one day realize they are followers of Christ.

On another note, I ran the OBX half-marathon this past November. I wish I had known about your church while we were there. My brother-in-law is the pastor of C3 (his wife is my sister) the church Nathan visited this past weekend. Your church sounds very similar. You have an amazing family and I can hardly wait to see what God does in their lives.

Rick Lawrenson said...

Hi Gina,
Then you ran right by us. In fact, we were out there handing out water. Nathan and I were both giving out water and cheering you on. Maybe next year!