Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving Top Ten

The Bible tells us many times in many ways to give thanks. I’m sure that means first to God, but if you’re like me, there are lots of people to thank and lots of things for which to be thankful. So please humor me as I share some.

Ala David Letterman’s Top Ten, here are some things that come to my mind for which I am thankful this year.

10. In June, with my pastor Burnie and my son Nathan I went to a ballgame at Wrigley Field. I’m no Cubs fan, but I love the game, and Wrigley is one of the game’s shrines. Next year I hope to go to a Nationals game in their new stadium in DC.

9. Working with younger guys who stretch me and make me see different and new ways of doing things. For example, I’ve started blogging this year. And a couple of times this summer I wore sandals to church. (Hey, Jesus wore them!) I don’t want to be one of those old guys who never changes because he thinks the old days were better. As I grow older I still want to think young.

8. I’m about to occupy a brand new office. A year ago our church vacated our old building, and with it went a real office. So for a year now our staff has worked wherever we could find a space. And that’s OK. But I’m looking forward to a regular place to come to work with familiar pictures on the wall.

7. How can I not include the fact that I live on the Outer Banks? Since 1986 this has been our home, and I can’t imagine any place better to live and raise a family. And to top it off, we just passed through another hurricane season unscathed!

6. God has given me more friends than I deserve. Every one of them enriches my life and teaches me. A lot of new ones came into my life in the last year. And one thing I really like about my friends is that they don’t treat me like a preacher.

5. Surrounding my life is an incredible church family. Their passion for the Lord, for one another and for the community makes my job as one of their pastors a joy (almost all the time!) They held together through a big building project that included demolishing their old home. Every day I’m grateful to God for them.

4. At 52 I feel better than at 42. I know. Looks can be deceiving. My doc and my racquetball partner, see to it that I don’t totally neglect taking care of this temple. I’m at the stage of the game now when health is something I have to work on. I’ve got more aches and pains than at 42, but still I feel great!

3. God has given us three fantastic kids. If you know them, you know how blessed I am as a father. All three, along with their spouses love one another and love the Lord. This year has been an exciting one for our kids. Both of my daughters got married. (I don’t recommend that, by the way.) Our son’s wife is preparing for a double lung transplant, and that’s exciting in a different way. It sure seems quiet around the house with all of them gone.

2. My wife Gail and I celebrated 30 years of marital bliss this year! She’s the constant in my life and has loved me for even longer. We’re now looking forward to some grandkids in the future!

1. To be able to have a personal relationship with the Almighty God. To realize that He resides within me and cares about every detail of my life is still most amazing. Knowing Him and being able to communicate through prayer and by reading His Word are privileges for which I can’t thank Him enough.

No comments: