Friday, July 6, 2007

More "They Like Jesus..."

This morning I spent an hour reading on in Dan Kimball's book "They Like Jesus But Not the Church". Interestingly enough, the place where I was reading was a place I frequently meet with those outside the church to talk and build relationships. I say that because Dan makes a huge point about the necessity for pastors to get out of the office and into the culture.

Much of what he says has been ringing in my head for years, actually going back to my teens when I witnessed up close and personal the Jesus Movement at its epicenter in Southern California. Jesus People were the emerging generation nearly 40 years ago, seeking Jesus but running away from the institutional church.

Indeed, we in the church have become progam minded and forgotten how to be missionaries to our communities. And the perceptions - right, wrong or indifferent - that the emerging generation has about Christianity speak loudly to our becoming a machine rather than a movement.

It's a great read. So far. I'm getting lots of ideas!

Do I smell a continuation of the transition?

No comments: