Monday, June 4, 2007

Lost and Found

I'm glad they have a Lost and Found at the YMCA. More times than I care to admit I've left something behind. Sometimes it's there the next time I return. Other times (like my elbow brace and a pair of goggles) it's not. But finding something you've lost is a great feeling.

Jesus' words to the Ephesian church in Revelation 2 are haunting me right now. He starts out by commending this well established church - both Paul and Timothy had spent significant time there earlier - for their many ministries. They were so busy doing "the work of the Lord". And they were noted by the Lord for their stand against false doctrine.

But they were seriously lacking in one thing. And it was so serious that Jesus said He would remove His presence from their church if they didn't get back to something so basic. When Jesus said, "I've got this one problem with you. You have left your first love", He was clearly indicating that inspite of all their efforts to do "ministry" they were neglecting what should have been their priority. The problem with what He said was that He didn't identify for us what that first love is.

Surely, however, the Ephesian church could figure it out. He told them to "remember" - take your minds back to the beginning. I'm guessing He was reminding them of the passion they had for Him in the early days when they were more a movement than a machine.

He had made it pretty simple when He gave His disciples a definition of what it took to love Him. "If you love me", He said, "keep my commandments." Things like...
  • "Love the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and your neighbor as yourself."
  • "Go into all the world and make disciples"
  • "Do this in remembrance of Me"

What afflicted this first century congregation afflicts us today. It's easier to equate busyness in church ministries with spirituality and maturity. It's easier to throw a few bucks into the offering and "support" missions and ministry than it is to roll up your sleeves and get involved in someone's life. It's easier to attend Bible studies ad infinitum than it is to share the Gospel with someone likely bound for hell. It's easier to come up with excuses than it is to make the effort to gather with the body of Christ for communion and fellowship.

But when did anybody ever get the idea that loving Jesus was going to be easy?

We're great at inventing substitutes and excuses for replacing our first love. The kicker is we do it in gradual steps and don't realize it. We have ourselves convinced that because we've got this program running or that facility built that we're getting it done.

All the while Jesus is waiting for us to get back to loving Him by doing the basics.

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

PR,
Are you writing these things just to ME? I'm very 'busy' and very 'generous' but this reminds me of a time about 11 or 12 years ago when God so clearly said to me, "You talk ABOUT me more than you talk TO me." How come I keep forgetting that?
Thanks for blogging my memory!