Friday, June 1, 2007

Billy Graham


I watched highlights of the dedication of the Billy Graham Library yesterday. On the platform were some interesting characters!

But that's been Billy's forte, and to some his Achilles' heel. He's an evangelist - proclaiming the Good News to those who need Christ. So since his early days he's invited some "characters" to sit on the platform of his crusades. And for that he's been criticized.

One of my professors said it this way: "When I've led as many people to Christ as has Billy Graham, then I can criticize him."

Paul had his critics, too, in the first century. And there were those who did it differently than he did. His reaction to those who encouraged him to criticize other evangelists? "What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice." (Philippians 1:18 KNJV)

Amen.

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

After over 40 years of hearing "Just As I Am", reading your blog today is the first time it occurred to me how many people sing it with the emphasis on "just as I am, I want to STAY" !! I can't remember what it was like to go to a church every Sunday and tread water with the same ol' teaching and no real growth, and I hope God sees fit to keep me at Nags Head for a long time :)